Saltwater Vampires by Kirsty Eagar

saltwaterJust finished reading this. It is extremely chilling and scary. I found that I had to put it down a couple of times because I was nervous about how events might play out.

This is not a story told in what is becoming a sub-genre of its own – The romantic, noble vampire premise – This is very much constructing vampires in a more traditional way. They are killers, greedy and thirsty, immoral and predatory.

But as well as all the bloodlust and the biting, there is also a genuinely well written narrative. It is taut and tense. The suspense builds, and we are almost holding our breath by the time our heroes confront the powerful, determined villains.

It is also very Australian. The protagonist, Jamie is a 15 yr old surfer, encapsulating all the traits: he’s laid back, he’s scruffy, wild and lean. And he proves to be courageous and persistant. Surrounded by his mates, he takes on a very difficult but desperate plan amidst the frenzy of a New Year’s Eve music festival.

Don’t be fooled into thinking this is another Twilight. It’s a thriller, and so much more. Look out for it. Here is the book trailer and the website. Here is an interview with Kirsty Eagar talking about the book and all things vampiric.

4 thoughts on “Saltwater Vampires by Kirsty Eagar

1. Pingback: Kirsty Eagar » Blog Archive » October news …

2. What a brilliant review. I absolutely loved this book too – and Kirsty Eagar’s first book Raw Blue.

I love how you describe Jamie – he is scruffy and Australian and an awesome protagonist for the story.